The Rural Health Clinic is located directly across from the Hospital Emergency room at 4300 Birch Street. You may contact us at 760.379.1791 to make an appointment. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7:00 am – 7:00 pm.
Primary health care services are available through our Rural Health Clinic. The goal of the Rural Health Clinic is to provide quality preventative services and medical care to residents of the Kern RiverValley. We want to make healthcare available to everyone.
- Pediatric, Adolescent and Adult Healthcare
- Gynecologic Care
- General Surgery
- Psychological Counseling
- Specialty Care via Telehealth Services
- Counseling Services
Rural Health Clinic Staff
- Carlos Montes, M.D.
- Medical Director
- Gynecology and General Medicine
- John Buxton, M.D.
- General Surgery
- Sanjiv Sharma, M.D.
- Holly Spohn, D.P.M.
- Gregory Davis, P.A.-C.
- Clinic Manager
- Morgan Higgins, P.A.-C.
- Bryan Batdorf, P.A.-C.
Insurances and Programs Accepted
Medicare, Medi-Cal and most commercial insurances
Sliding Scale Available -up on prior approval
The Rural Health Clinic is located at 4300 Birch in Mt.Mesa, just across the street from the emergency room. We are open from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. We are closed on major holidays.
You are welcome to call us to schedule an appointment at (760) 379-1791. We also accept walk-in patients for acute or urgent issues throughout the day.
What do I need to bring?
We ask that you bring in your current insurance cards at every visit. To maintain a current list of your medications, we ask that you bring in your medications in the original bottle or a current list of all the medications you are taking at every visit. Any pertinent healthcare information that you have would be beneficial.
We are pleased offer specialty consultations and treatment through our Telehealth program. We currently offer neurologic, rheumatologic, psychiatric and counseling services through our Telehealth program. We will soon expand the services to include endocrinology and pain management.
What is Telehealth?
- Telehealth is providing specialty medical consultation and treatment when the healthcare provider is unable to be on site. Telehealth visits are provided by high-definition videoconferencing equipment.
- What is the benefit of Telehealth?
- By offering Telehealth services, we are able to provide needed specialty healthcare that previously was unavailable in the Kern RiverValley. We are also able to offer local services to patients that were previously unable to obtain specialty medical care due to their insurance class.
- Is my health information secure?
- Your health information will remain secure during Telehealth consults. The videoconferencing that we will provide is encrypted and highly secure.
- What should I expect during my Telehealth visit?
- When you come to the Rural Health Clinic for your Telehealth visit you will sign in as if it were a traditional visit. We will ask you to sign a special consent authorizing your visit through Telehealth videoconferencing. You will be escorted to one of our Telehealth rooms by our staff. You will be able to see and speak with the Telehealth provider on a high-definition television screen. During some visits our Telehealth coordinator may be in the room with you during the examination.
- There is always a possibility that there may be interference on the line. It is rare that we experience this type of interference but it may cause some temporary static or “pixilation”. This is usually temporary and is restored spontaneously. If the interference is severe or if there is a connection lost please ask to speak to the Telehealth coordinator.