The Social Services Department at Kern Valley Hospital helps individuals, couples and families cope with social, psychological, cultural and medical issues resulting from illness. The Social Work Department also helps patients fully utilize medical care and services by:
- Explaining health-care resources and policies to patients, family and professional staff.
- Helping plan for post-hospital patient needs by arranging for care at another facility or home.
- Explaining to patients the epidemiology of diseases, including social environment risk factors.
- Helping patients and families receive needed follow-up care by referral to health-care resources.
- Understanding the social, cultural and religious variables that contribute to patients’ responses to illness and their use of health-care resources.
- Providing advocacy through appropriate organizations.
Social Workers may help patients with advance directives and other long-term care issues. They assure that patients’ medically related emotional and social needs are met and maintained throughout their medical treatment.